BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 02, 2007

Goodbye Rankin

I came home from work today to find my eldest cat Rankin asleep forever in the garden. She was 17 years old, but seemed to have been around for much longer. She was a real character and we'll miss her very much. She suddenly became very old in the last week or so, and had been struggling for the last couple of days. Breathing had become an effort it seemed and I'm not sure how much she had slept in the last day. I was reluctant to go to work today, but my unfeeling boss is not the sort to be symathetic for pet children. I said my goodbyes to her before I went to work though which is a great comfort, and I made sure that she had a few morsels of tuna for breakfast, which she ate, despite being off her food. I think she had been waiting for us to go - cats seem to want to go on their own terms, on their own, and I feel like she had been holding on for us. I came home from work to find her lying in the grass in the sunshine and she seemed very peaceful, like she had finally been able to go to sleep. I only hope that when my time comes, that I will pass away so peacefully, in such lovely surroundings. We cried, and buried her in the garden in her favourite bed blanket. Life will seem quite odd without her and the others all miss her. Goodbye Rankin.

3 comments:

Celeste said...

So sorry to hear about Rankin.
Our 2 cats are the first pets I've ever had except for fish and stick insects, and it's hard to get attached to stick insects, so I've never really had to deal with the loss of a pet but I'm dreading the day it happens.

Falling asleep in the sunshine does sound like possibly the best way to go though.

Take care.

Laural said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Rankin. You are right he did go on his terms and in a most peaceful way.

((( hugs )))

Samsara said...

Thank you both for your kind thoughts - it's hard to loose a loved one - even when you know it's coming, it's hard to deal with. We knew she was getting old, so we were expecting it, but she didn't seem to suffer and was bright up till the end :-)

About

Labels

101 (2) ABC (4) art (7) ATC's (1) Baking (12) bath (3) beads (30) belly dancing (32) Birthday (22) Books (17) candles (3) Chinese New Year (4) circus (1) clothing (34) crafts (177) crochet (102) crystals (2) Drawing (5) eco (8) family (31) felt (25) festivals (10) fimo (14) friends (29) gaming (15) garden (24) Geocaching (1) Glass (25) Harry Potter (18) Holiday (42) hula hooping (2) jewellery (58) knitting (76) Meme (3) nature (14) needle felting (10) new year (5) Painting (19) papercrafts (18) Pets (33) photography (37) ravelry (15) reconstructed (14) resin (2) school (22) sewing (75) shop (4) soaps (8) Spinning (8) stamping (2) stencilling (1) swaps (68) tattoos (1) TESOL (23) tutorial (4) Walks (15) weather (23) wire (1) yoga (6)