BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What's in a name?

If you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to have an unusual name, you know the frustration of never being able to find personalised stuff. I remember being envious of friends at school with pens, key rings or other wonderful accessories emblazoned with their names. I could never find things with my name on, so when I claimed not one, but two people in the OWS swap that had unusual names, I knew I had to craft them something with their names on.




I painted this mug for Karan (note the particular spelling for Karan) and apparently I got bonus points for getting her two other unusual names on there too. When I first sat down with this mug, I considered putting the names in large letters on it, but no matter how I played around with the design, it just didn't look right. So I created this swirling design that goes around the mug, and made the names 'ride the wave' all the way round it. Then I added some stars and dots, outlined and painted it all, and fired it. I'm quite pleased with the result and I think she is too.










I liked the use of the star in place of the A - an inspired moment *lol*










I also made them a personalised notebook each. Well, it's a notebook cover, made from felt with elastic to slip the notebook into and embroidered with blanket stitch around the edge. I sewed some vintage lace on, glued some sparkly glitter and embellished with a personalised name plate that I made for them in last weeks Fimo session.














I used the texture plates sent to me by PattyCat to create that wonderful starry background, and silver metallic powder brushed on to give that metallic look.













I also made some decorative cabochons to glue on there too, made from a mould I took from a button. I think it all tied together well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE my mug and notebook : )

tasket basket said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful thing this is to do for your swap partners! And the crafts are very pretty and unique as well!

About

Labels

101 (2) ABC (4) art (7) ATC's (1) Baking (12) bath (3) beads (30) belly dancing (32) Birthday (22) Books (17) candles (3) Chinese New Year (4) circus (1) clothing (34) crafts (177) crochet (102) crystals (2) Drawing (5) eco (8) family (31) felt (25) festivals (10) fimo (14) friends (29) gaming (15) garden (24) Geocaching (1) Glass (25) Harry Potter (18) Holiday (42) hula hooping (2) jewellery (58) knitting (76) Meme (3) nature (14) needle felting (10) new year (5) Painting (19) papercrafts (18) Pets (33) photography (37) ravelry (15) reconstructed (14) resin (2) school (22) sewing (75) shop (4) soaps (8) Spinning (8) stamping (2) stencilling (1) swaps (68) tattoos (1) TESOL (23) tutorial (4) Walks (15) weather (23) wire (1) yoga (6)